Friday, April 23, 2010

Beer-Cheese Soup

Yesterday, I was watching New in Town starring Renee Zwelleger and Harry Connick Jr. and they happened to mention beer cheese soup. It also happened to be grocery day. So I quickly looked up a recipe and picked up some nice NYS extra sharp cheddar and Guiness beer. I made my very first successful roux! It was so smooth and pretty I took a picture of it!

Look at this garlic clove, thats one clove! Its huge! You know I have been silly buying the little package of two bulbs, instead of the bulk garlic. So I decided to grab the bulk because it is cheaper per lb. And I got this big bulb that I had to cut in half to put in my garlic press. We got the new stainless model, I don't expect Hef's dad to break this one.
This recipe called for 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes, and it weirdly said chopped after that. So I crushed them in my mortar and pestle. I'm not one for hot spicy food, but it didn't sound like much to me so I added it. MISTAKE! After toasting up some french bread in the oven, I tucked in. SPICY! I gave Hef's dad a taste and he was surprised I was eating it was so spicy. Oh well. I plan to fix it with more cheese and beer.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

That sounds amazing!

Carmen S. said...

That is one huge clove! The soup sounds delicious:)

Tamsin said...

It looks like cheese fondue :)

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

That sounds soooooo fabulous!

RG said...

Holy Cow ... you crushed them up??? I have to pick about half of the flakes out of the dishes BL puts them in .. they are HOT! But good you can just add the main stuff to cool it down. Boy I bet that was good.

Can you grow tulips and daffodils there? If so you can grow garlic. You plant the cloves in midNovember just like you would plant a tulip or daffodil. You could even plant some in a big pot. They will come up in Feb.or so, be ready to harvest in maybe late July, dry until Sept. and then you braid them together, hang them in your kitchen, and just pick off what you need!

Lisa Alto said...

I'm intrigued now... cheese and beer soup! Sounds odd, yet somehow perfect. Please post the full recipe?