Monday, May 24, 2010

I can't believe I ate it!


All because of a crazy little thing called love, I actually ate veal. Which I have always been against and refused. Hef's dad wanted something different for dinner and grabbed some veal cutlets. So I was confronted with what the heck do I do with this meat I don't want to eat? This is where I love my Mastering the Art of French Cooking book because just about everything is in there. Sure enough, Veal cutlets with fine herbs, there it is. Pretty basic recipe, browning veal, cooking it in the oven, then making a pan sauce from the juices with fine herbs and cream. Paired with a side of rice and veggies. I liked the cream sauce, don't like veal, but Hef's dad was happy.

I also made Onion Soup from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, because it is something I love and vidalia onions were on sale for 99 cents a lb last week. It was delicious, again very simple, I think I'm mastering this French Cooking thing.

6 comments:

Carmen S. said...

Your soup looks delicious! I've never had veal that I know of, but being from Germany, anything's possible:( Enjoy the day:)

Lisa said...

Eek. Veal. My boyfriend loves veal, and I repeatedly ask him not to eat it around me, (I try to be a "chill" vegetarian who respects others' food choices, but veal is the only thing I prefer people to NOT eat in front of me. Aside from that I could care less). Vidalia onions are yummy. My mom makes a mean vidalia onion pie.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I'm with Lisa on this one. Sad, sad, baby cow. I'll have the onion pie too. Yummy!

LOS said...

Dear Hef's Mom. Great job on the dishes from Mastering the Art. However, the veal combined with your washing the car tells me that you are ready for a copy of my upcoming book: "Care and Feeding of Your Male Significan Other."

The Bunns said...

Ho Ho Ho! BL is totally against veal!!! RG says Vidalia Shmidalia -- wait for the Walla Wallas!!!! But he also says -oh that soup do look good - those big sweet onions are for a king!!!

RG also says don't believe half of what BL writes ... she does not control him (much).

RG said...

NO COMMENT ....