Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Homestead


Hef's dad has been on a business trip for the past two and a half weeks, so to keep myself entertained I bought the complete set of Dr, Quinn, Medicine Woman. Man, it's a great show! Let me tell you I am one for a theme, which led to a big pot of hearty chicken and dumplings! 
For the life of me I can't dice an onion, so when I spotted the already chopped on sale I took the easy way out.

Step 1: Brown both sides of chicken thighs in oil, crispy yummy chicken skin! The skins are then discarded, but the pups and I had some as a little snack, just like peeling off the thanksgiving turkey! Reserve the chicken fat for the dumplings!Then sautee the  veggies until they start to soften.

Add some stock and  milk and simmer until the chicken is falling off the bone.
Shred the chicken and keep it simmering.
 Now I am not one for doughs or pasteries, so I was very pleased these turned out. I didn't give measurements before because when it comes to veggies or meat a little more or a little less won't hurt in my eye, but I fear the dough! So here is the exact if you try them, 2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt, mix that together. Then warm 1 cup milk with 3 tablespoons of reserved fat. and stir that into the flour mix.
Drop them into the pot, it was so easy! Let them simmer, covered, about 15 minutes until they are fluffed up nice!

I DID IT!

4 comments:

Lisa Alto said...

That looks like the perfect winter comfort food! yum yum x

Little Miss Titch said...

yum yum yum!

bunnits said...

You sure do have a way of making folks hungry.

Looks great!

RG said...

Ouch - yum!!! (I have found that Bisquick will make just-fine dumplings too!)